The Employer Nomination Scheme Subclass 186 Visa is a permanent Australian visa granted to applicants nominated by their Australian employers. if you want to apply for this visa, make sure that an Australian company has filed your nomination. This post discusses several important aspects you must know before proceeding with your 186 visa application.
There Are Three Streams of this Visa 186 application
The 186 Visa has three streams, each with different criteria. So, as an applicant, you have to be aware of all their details.
Direct Entry Stream
The Direct Entry Stream is for those with relevant skills and experience in the nominated job position. Your sponsoring company can select you for any role related to an occupation listed on the skilled occupations list.
Labour Agreement Stream
If your sponsor is in a labour agreement with the Australian Government, you can choose this stream. Labor agreements let Australian companies recruit eligible and skilled overseas workers to deal with the deficiency in the local job market.
Temporary Residence Transition Stream
If you have held a TSS Visa Subclass 482 or a Visa Subclass 457 and now want to reside in Australia permanently, this stream is the best option.
Learn How You Can Receive a Nomination for the 186 Visa
Whenever you decide to apply for the Visa Subclass 186, you first have to receive a nomination from your Australian employer. Following are the requirements.
Having an Eligible Sponsor
First of all, you must have an eligible Australian sponsor. The company must be legally operating in Australia and have sufficient financial capacity to keep an overseas worker for at least 2 years. It should also have a valid Australian Business Number (ABN).
Depending on the stream you choose, the employer’s eligibility criteria may change. For example, when you apply under the Labour Agreement Stream, the employer must be a part of a labour agreement with the Australian Government.
Having an Eligible Occupation
You must have skills in the nominated occupation listed on the skilled occupations list. To prove that you have relevant skills, you need to conduct a skills assessment test by an appropriate authority.
Sponsor Filing a Nomination Application
If both your sponsor and you meet the specific 186 Employer Nomination Schemeeligibility requirements, your employer can file a nomination application for you.
As per rules, the company has to submit the nomination via the ImmiAccount and pay a nomination fee of AUD540. Sometimes, no fee is required, especially when applying under the Labour Agreement or Temporary Residence Transition Stream for an occupation in a designated regional area.
Sponsor Paying the Levy Fund
Your sponsor will also need to pay the desired levy fund. Otherwise, the Department of Home Affairs will not approve your nomination.
- The amount is AUD3000 when the company has a turnover under AUD10 million.
- For a business having a turnover of over 10 million, the levy fund fee becomes AUD5000.
Applicant Documents Required For 186 Visa Application
As the applicant, you must submit all the documents according to your 186 Visa checklist. Following are the records you have to submit at the time of your application.
- Pages of your valid passport that contain your bio information and photo
- A name change proof, if applicable
- A national identity card
If you are registered or a member of any professional organisation in Australia, you may be required to submit related documents. It will apply if the state you are getting your job in requires these documents.
If you are a doctor, you may provide any certificate issued by the Australian Health Regulation Agency.
Skills Assessment Documents
You have to submit your skills assessment certificate to prove that you can carry out the responsibilities associated with the job role.
Documents Related to Qualifications and Work Experience
You can submit appropriate documents if you have gained relevant work experience in the nominated occupation.
English Language Documents
English language documents are required when you are not from an English-speaking country like the US, the UK, Ireland, Canada, or New Zealand.
Usually, having a competent level of English is the main requirement for this visa. Scoring at least 6 in each component of the IELTS test will make you eligible.
Dependent Applicant Documents
If you include your immediate family members like your partner or spouse and dependent children, you must submit several important documents.
For your partner, submit:
- Marriage certificate
- Identification documents
- Relationship proof
- English language proficiency document
If your children are below 18, you have to submit:
- Birth certificates
- Adoption papers, if applicable
- Family book showing the names of parents when birth certificates are not available
- Statutory declarations
- A filled-in parental consent form 1229
However, if you include your dependent child aged between 18 and 23, submit:
- Identity documents
- Proof of financial dependency on you or your spouse
- Evidence that they are not engaged or married
- Documents to show that they are currently students
Documents Your Employer Has to Submit
Your Australian employer will also need to submit several essential documents when filing the nomination.
- Evidence of paid levy fee
- Employment contract
- Annual salary rate proof, if applicable
- Proof that they genuinely require an overseas skilled worker for the role
- Documents to prove that the business is legally operating in Australia
- Financial statements
- Business activity statements
- Full name of the position and the ANZSCO code
- A detailed business organisational chart
- A health workforce certificate when the nominated role is healthcare-related
If you apply under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream, your employer has to submit:
- Associated business proof
- Proof of the work you did while holding a 482 or 457 Visa
- Documents regarding the change in sponsorship, if applicable
The Processing Time
The 186 Visa processing time varies from stream to stream. It also depends on the number of applications submitted at a specific time.
- The Direct Entry Stream takes about 4-12 months.
- The Labour Agreement Stream takes about 59 days-13 months.
- The Temporary Residence Transition Stream takes about 6-18 months.
If you need any help with your application, consider hiring a reputed migration agent in Perth. These professionals are highly qualified and experienced to give you valuable advice. However, make sure that you hire them before the application starts.